Wednesday, August 5, 2009

This just in

Yesterday I had my third CT Scan to measure the progress of my treatment. I wasn't expecting the office to have the results back today since they out source the reading to another facility. My PA told us that she would attempt to get the results back by the time we left for the day. We waited and waited and there is a term that is used by cancer survivors called "Scanxiety" which is the feeling you have waiting for the results. Anyways the results weren't in before we left...Oh well wait another day. Our research nurse called us a little while ago with the results and they were very good. The measurable tumors in my liver are shrinking at a good pace and the original tumor in my rectum is no longer measurable via CT scan. My CEA is still at a good level. CEA is a marker that is produced by tumors. When CEA levels decrease after therapy, it means that most or all of the CEA-producing tumor has been removed.

On a sadder note the clinic was really busy today. I was able to get my favorite chair. They actually reserve it for me. There is a new guy who has throat cancer. He is a really nice guy and has a great attitude. We chat and joke around a bit to liven up the place. I always manage to get the nurses laughing when they ask if there is anything they can get me and I respond "Find me a cure for cancer." There has got to one out there and it's really important to keep the research funded. I know we are in the midst of tough economic times and money is tight however if you have budgeted money for charity please consider giving a little to the American Cancer Society in order to help rid the world of this scourge.

One of the things that I failed to mention in my last post was that I found a 4 leaf clover when I was on vacation. I consider my self lucky and I'm grateful for everyone who is supporting me though their thoughts prayers and actions. A special thanks goes out to my wife Sandy who is always there for me no matter what and my mom and mother in-law for always helping out with Olivia and to you my friends (some of whom I have never met) for reading my blog.

THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment